Teaching to Learn, Learning to Teach

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"Miss Previs, Miss Previs...." I don't see my Mom, oh wait, you mean me!

I have now made two visits to my practicum location. Working with fifth graders has been incredible, except that I seem to blend among the taller kids. I have seen lots of evidence of SOL review because it's beginning to be crunch time!!!

The students are so enthusiastic. One girl randomly asked me if I liked her orange and black socks. Although this kind of thing is trivial, it's nice knowing that the students see me as approachable.

My cooperating teacher told me that as I grow more comfortable in the classroom, he will begin to ask me to prepare a lesson, and give me only 10 minutes to get it together. He said he wants me to learn to handle things in an instant because not everything goes according to plan.

I'm going to try and spend a lot of time in the school over spring break. I want the kids to feel comfortable with my presence and ask me questions with ease. It's hard transitioning each day from being a student at college to a teacher in the school. I never thought I'd see the day when people call me Miss Previs!

2 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hi,
I share your height challenge-- I've been teaching for 15 years and I've always had fifth grades in some form, either homeroom, science, or technology. In any case, I can't tell you the number of times someone came in looking for me and assumed I wasn't there because I blended in so well with the students.

On the positive side, fifth graders feel great pride to pass up their teacher in height.

On a side note, not only do we share a short stature, but we have the same template for our blogs!

Best of luck to you. Your enthusiasm does you credit.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Rachel Previs said...

I think that students really will learn to identify with us. The fact that I am not that old and not as "domineering" in appearance may be an asset in the classroom, especially at an age where students look for positive role models with which they feel a shared bond. Thanks for your insight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home